Awkwafina’s Win Makes History at Golden Globe AwardsSkill Level 5, Published on: Jan 08, 2020
Awkwafina’s Win Makes History at Golden Globe Awards
Awkwafina said it was a “mind-blowing” experience to learn she had made Golden Globes history.
On Sunday night, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association awarded the new star with the Globe for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy. Awkwafina is the first Asian-American woman to win the award.
She won for her starring performance in director Lulu Wang’s “The Farewell.” Before that, Awkwafina was probably best known for the humorous character she played in 2018’s Crazy Rich Asians. She also co-starred in the all-female Ocean’s Eight from 2018.
Awkwafina believes she still has more to prove.
“It feels incredible,” she said. “There’s also another feeling that you are going to do more. I hope this is just the beginning.”
In “The Farewell” Awkwafina plays a young woman of a Chinese family with a secret. They are trying to keep the family’s grandmother from learning that she has cancer.
Awkwafina said she could really connect with the movie.
“Immigrants in this country who were raised to feel very American ... and when we go back where, you know, we’re told that you don’t belong here and you go back to where you belong...you feel like a stranger there and this constant feeling of being lost in translation. And I think that’s what really resonated with me in The Farewell.”
Awkwafina’s real name is Nora Lum. She was born in New York in 1988. She got her start in entertainment in hip-hop music. In 2014, she released her first professional rap album, Yellow Ranger. Another, In Fina We Trust, came out in 2018.
Is an Oscar nomination next for the 31-year-old singer and actor? It is hard to say, but her Golden Globe win may improve her chances.
Discuss the following vocabulary with your teacher
constant -adj. happening all the time or very often over a period of time
- I need to generate a constant profit in order to reach my goals
lost in translation -phrase to fail to have the same meaning or effectiveness (of something) when it is translated into another language
- The punchline of the joke was lost in translation when they said it in English.
character - n. a person who appears in a story, book, play, movie, or television show
- From everyone in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thor is my favorite character.
incredible - adj. extremely good, great, or large
- His progress at his place of work has been incredible and he only has been there for a year.
resonate -v. To have particular meaning or importance for someone: to affect or appeal to someone in a personal or emotional way — usually + with
- The movie really made me cry as the story resonated with me and my personal issues.
Answer the following questions about the article
- Which association is it that awards celebrities the Golden Globe award?
- In which category was Awkwafina nominated?
- Which movie was she best known for before this?
- What is Awkwafina's real name?
Make a sentence
Make a sentence using the following words
- lost in translation
Have a discussion about the following questions
- Do you ever watch the Golden Globes or any other award show?
- Who has been your favorite actors or actresses this past year?
- Which movie was the best in your opinion this past year?
- Is there another award show is extremely popular in your country or for you?