Critics Praise New, and Last, Avengers Series FilmSkill Level 4, Published on: Apr 30, 2019
Many movie critics are giving high praise to Avengers: Endgame, the final film in the superhero series from Walt Disney's Marvel Studios.
As of Tuesday, all but one of 56 Endgame critiques on the Rotten Tomatoes website were rated as positive.
USA Today's Brian Truitt called the three-hour film "glorious." He especially praised the time-travel part of the story. He said the movie includes returns to past happenings, which will please fans of superheroes like Iron Man and Thor.
The final film begins where last year's Avengers: Infinity War ended, when several beloved heroes appeared to turn to dust.
CNN's Brian Lowry said Endgame is a winning finish.
"The filmmakers have sought to reward movie-goers with a spectacle that's epic in every way," Lowry said.
He also wrote that there are several real surprises in the movie, and a lot of humor and emotional moments, as well.
A.O. Scott of The New York Times said the movie provides a "sense of an ending," even though many characters are expected to return in future films.
Scott wrote, "We've lived with these characters and the actors playing them” for more than 10 years. He added: "For the most part, it's nice to see them again, and a little sad to say goodbye."
Esther Zuckerman of Thrillist agrees. “Endgame reinforces that there's still a beating heart beneath all the machinery,” she wrote.
Not everyone is pleased with the new film, however. Barry Hertz of Canada’s Globe and Mail newspaper calls Avengers: Endgame “shockingly boring.”
Movie experts say the film may break records for opening weekend ticket sales in the United States and Canada. That record now stands at $257.7 million, set by Avengers: Infinity War.
Read the following vocabulary with your teacher.
glorious /ˈglorijəs/ - adj. marked by great beauty or splendor
- He had a long and glorious military career.
spectacle /ˈspɛktɪkəl/ - n. something exhibited to view as unusual, notable, or entertaining
- She hoped the situation would not become a spectacle.
epic /ˈɛpɪk/ - adj. extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope
- The football game was an epic battle between two great teams.
character /ˈkerɪktɚ/ - n. a person in a story or play
- The film's main characters are a woman in her late 30s and her elderly neighbor.
Answer these questions about the article.
1. What is the name of the latest Marvel superhero movie?
2. What did Brian Truitt praise about the film?
3. What did A.O. Scott think of the movie?
4. Which film currently holds the record for opening weekend ticket sales?
Fill in the blanks
Fill in the blanks with the correct word listed below.
glorious, spectacle, epic, character
1. She plays the film's central _____.
2. Our room had a _____ view of the mountains.
3. The bridge was an _____ achievement.
4. The photo exhibit was quite a _______.
Have a discussion on following questions.
1. Have you seen the latest Avengers movie?
2. Are you a fan of superhero movies?
3. Why are superhero movies popular, in your opinion?
4. What kind of movies do you like to watch?