Meghan Markle's Popularity Affecting Sales of Designer ClothingSkill Level 4, Published on: Mar 23, 2019
Reporters have been following American actress Meghan Markle ever since plans for her marriage to Britain’s Prince Harry were announced.
Today every time Meghan, now the Duchess of Sussex, appears in public, people talk about what she is wearing. All that talk and media attention can increase sales of designer clothing.
Since getting married last year, Meghan’s clothes have become almost as famous as the woman wearing them. Fashion blogs and social media reporting about her choice of clothing have increased in number.
Christine Ross is a co-editorial director of Meghan’s Mirror fashion blog. She describes the Duchess’ style as “very on trend and modern”. Almost everything she wears up to and around $300…sells out, she added.
Designer dresses and shoes are the fashion dream of many women, but for Meghan these are just everyday things.
For her busy day, the now Duchess of Sussex usually wears clothing from high-end designers, such as Givenchy. The French company designed the dress she wore on her wedding day.
Dior, Ralph Lauren, Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta are among other designers she likes.
Meghan was named 2018’s best dressed woman by People magazine.
Meghan supports sustainable fashion, explained Holly Rains, digital editor at magazine Marie Claire UK.
Her less costly accessories quickly sell out from stores and websites. “The jewelry, the bags…is where we can…get that kind of Meghan touch…,” Rains said. She added that the casual look proved popular with readers.
British fashion expert Michael Talboys said he hoped to see the Duchess of Sussex wear more British designers. So far, she has worn clothing from British fashion lines Victoria Beckham, Strathberry and Marks & Spencer.
Read the following vocabulary with your teacher.
style (n.) /stʌɪl/ - a particular form or design of something
- The car is available in several different styles.
trend (n.) /ˈtrɛnd/ - a way of behaving, proceeding, etc., that is developing and becoming more common
- Teachers are trying to stop the general trend of lower test scores.
sustainable (adj.) /səˈsteɪnəbəl/ - involving methods that do not completely use up or destroy natural resources
- This restaurant uses sustainable products when available.
accessory (n.) /ɪkˈsɛsəri/ - something added to something else to make it more useful, attractive, or effective
- She wore the suit with perfectly matching accessories—hat, bag, shoes.
Answer these questions about the article.
1. What is Meghan Markle's official title?
2. Who is Christine Ross?
3. Which company designed Markle's wedding dress?
4. Which British fashion designers does she enjoy wearing?
Fill in the blanks
Fill in the blanks with the correct word listed below.
style, trend, sustainable, accessory
1. The restaurant affords local, ______ and organic products.
2. His shoes were in a _____ that he could wear anywhere.
3. This shop sells fashion ______.
4. Digital technology is the latest _____ in television.
Have a discussion on following questions.
1. What do you think of Meghan Markle's popularity?
2. Do you often read fashion blogs and magazines?
3. Which celebrities have a good fashion style in your opinion?
4. Do you enjoy shopping?