Americans’ Favorite Thing To DoSkill Level 3, Published on: Oct 24, 2018
Americans’ favorite activity has long been said to be baseball. But a new study by the U.S. government suggests that is not true. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says Americans seem to enjoy watching television more than anything else.
Researchers examined how Americans age 15 and older spent their free time during the years 2013 to 2017. They learned that Americans spend almost three hours every day watching TV.
The activity includes watching movies, recorded programs, and live broadcasts.
So who watches television the most? People over the age of 65, researchers found. Older people clock in at more than four and a half hours of television every day.
Parents with small children spent the least amount of time in front of the tube, as TV is sometimes called.
Researchers discovered something else, too: Men watch about 30 minutes more television than women each day.
Read the following vocabulary with your teacher.
clock in – expression to record or document time spent doing something
- I clocked in early at work today.
Answer these questions about the article.
- What was a traditional US free time activity?
- How many hours a day are americans watching TV?
- Who watches the most?
- Who watches more, men or women?
Fill in the blanks
Fill in the blanks with the correct word listed below.
- I _____ __ only a couple hours of sleep.
Have a discussion on following questions.
- Do you watch TV?
- What is your favourite thing to watch?
- How much do you watch TV?
- Can you get good information out of TV programs?