A Half-British, Half-American Royal Baby on the WaySkill Level 4, Published on: Oct 17, 2018
Another royal baby is on the way.
Britain’s Prince Harry and his American wife Meghan Markle are expecting a child. Kensington Palace tweeted the announcement Monday morning.
It read: “Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby in the Spring of 2019.”
Markle had been wearing looser clothing for several weeks. Then, on Friday, she wore a large coat to a royal wedding. Media reports quickly spread that she was possibly trying to hide signs of a pregnancy.
The couple has been married almost five months. Their wedding ceremony last May in Windsor, England was a hugely popular televised event.
The Duke and Dutchess currently are in Australia at the start of a 16-day trip that will also include visits to Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand. The pregnancy news came out shortly after they landed in Sydney. It set off a series of congratulatory posts on social media sites.
Many people are also guessing the sex of the baby, making lists of possible names and discussing the possibilities for its future in public service.
Some guesses are funny. American journalist Greg Pollowitz posted that the child will be an American citizen and might run for president someday.
He wrote, “Congratulations to Princess Meghan and Harry, and to the #RoyalBaby who will one day rule the Great American Empire.”
Read the following vocabulary with your teacher.
royal (adj.) /ˈrojəl/ - of or relating to a king or queen
- the royal family
coat (n.) /ˈkoʊt/ - an outer piece of clothing that can be long or short and that is worn to keep warm or dry
- She put on her coat, hat, and gloves, and then she went outside.
wedding (n.) /ˈwɛdɪŋ/ - a ceremony at which two people are married to each other
- The wedding will be at 2:00 p.m.
Answer these questions about the article.
- When is royal couple expecting a baby to be born?
- Why was Megan wearing larger clothes?
- How long are they married?
- Could baby run for president of USA one day?
Fill in the blanks
Fill in the blanks with the correct word listed below.
royal, coat, wedding
- Put on your ______ on, it is cold outside.
- When are you going to the _____?
- ________guard in London are very interesting to watch?
Have a discussion on following questions.
- Do you follow the royal couple?
- Is it important for people to be informed about their activities?
- Are they celebrities?
- Will the baby be British or American?